New: Our new Import Tool that was released on April 29, 2016 now supports CSV files and Excel files. Therefore you have a choice on which type of file you wish to work with. The link to download a Template can be found on the Import Locations tool.
Importing location data into your Locator system is one of the most important steps. You want to ensure that your data is correctly inserted and that data formatting is maintained. The following are the steps needed to prepare a template file for bulk importing your location data.
If you only need to add a few new locations to your locator, adding them one at a time manually via the Add a Location tool might be beneficial.
If you have dozens, hundreds or thousands of locations to add, then you definately want to Import a list into the system in bulk.
Here’s a few tips on getting your Import File into shape so that you successfully get your location data imported properly in your system.
Use Our Templates:
- If you have a basic locator without Plugins, then you should use our Basic Template. If you have purchased and activated the Product Manager, Store Hours or 5-Star Ratings Plugins, then you should use our Plugin Template. The Plugin Template includes the needed fields for these plugins.
- Open our Template with Excel.
- Review the column headers and existing sample data.
- Do not alter the column header values for best performance and compatibility.
- Start adding your location data for each location you want to add.
Example: Enter the Name, Address, City, State, ETC… for each location you have. One location per row.
- You should use full State/Province Names and also full Country Names when entering location data
- Once all your locations are inside your Template, in the correct columns, save the template to your computer.
- Visit your Import Locations tool and upload your new file and step through the import process.
Bring Your Own File:
- If you have a list of locations already on your computer, then you are free to use your own file. As long as the format of the file is a Comma Separated Values (CSV) text file, an Excel .XLS or an Excel .XLSX file, then the Import Tool will accept it.
- Your file must have Column Headers. Such as Name, Address, City, State, etc… on the very first line (row) of the file.
- The order of your fields are not important as our Import Tool will automatically analyze your column headers and attempt to map your fields to ours.
- You will also have the opportunity to map fields that we could not automatically map for you, to insure the accuracy of the import.
Tip: Excel is notorious for stripping leading zeros away from zip code that begin with a zero ‘0’. You should right click on the “F” column letter and choose Format Cells from the menu. Then choose Special / Zip Code from the choices in the list. This instructs Excel to not strip leading zeros from the Zipcode column values. Essentially forcing 8255 to become 08255, which is a properly formatted USA Zip Code.